Saturday, January 15, 2011

Build from Source

Hello Everyone,
Today, I am going to run, test, and demonstrate building from source. First, I picked up to completely free packages from GNU software collection.By the way, these software collections were amazing and I found a lot of useful software for absolutely free.
The first package that I downloaded was "nano" that is a text editor almost similar to "vi". After unpack the tar ball with tar xvzf ... command, I went to "nano-2.2.6" directory and ran the following commands:

./configure  ---------> To configure the build for my particular system.
time make  ----------> to build the software.

Here was the output of running this command:

real    0m5.912s
user    0m4.992s
sys    0m0.472s

To run the software, I found the binary file in this location:  ./src/nano

Also, here is the output of running the "file" command to make sure that "nano" is a executable file:

>file nano-2.2.6/src/nano
nano-2.2.6/src/nano: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, not stripped

I also found another package which was "wdiff". According to GNU wdiff website, http://www.gnu.org/software/wdiff/, the program wdiff is a front end to diff for comparing files on a word per word basis. A word is anything between whitespace. This is useful for comparing two texts in which a few words have been changed and for which paragraphs have been refilled.
So, I decided to build this package. The process of building this package was exactly as the same as "nano" package(untar,configure,and make). The time of making was different and here was the result of running "time make":

real    0m1.688s
user    0m1.016s
sys    0m0.394s

The binary file for wdiff  is ./src/wdiff
I enjoyed when I ran these free useful software.

Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment